I found this very easy, peasy exercise block to make for my youngest granddaughter.
She is about to turn 3 and is very active. I thought she would enjoy doing her own exercises. Albeit, if it's just jumping around in the living room. Plus, with the winter months coming on, she will be able to work off some of that 3 year old energy.
I have scrap wood, so hubby cut me a square. I painted it white and cut construction paper squares to put on the sides. I used the same exercises as the block I copied.
I always try and think outside the box, by seeing what I can do with something about to be thrown away or just no longer useful.
For years, we had the plain old boring bookshelves that every box store carries. They are inexpensive and frankly, they serve a multitude of purposes. But I really want to rid myself of them and find more unique/different, more personable ways of displaying my chachkies (trinkets).
Time for this plain ole shelf to go. You can see in the first picture, where I had already tried to change it by, adding fabric to the back. Yuck, Eww, Phooey. Time to find another purpose for it. After spending hours and hours on Pinterest, I decided to make a doll house for my youngest granddaughter. While ridding myself of something I know longer want, I in turn, make her a unique and personable doll house.
Plus, imaginary play is so important. And it is not easy to do. That is why some people have trouble playing with kids, they don't know how to pretend. With the doll house, she can work on her language skills, her thinking skills, her social skills and just having fun by herself.
At first I thought about making doll house furniture from odds and ends, but with her being two, she would have it destroyed in no time. So, I settled on inexpensive doll house furniture. I did try and add some personal pictures and wall art from my craft box.
If she continues to play with it, then I can buy her more furniture. By tomorrow, she might have moved on to something else.
But for now, she has a new toy, made with love, especially for her by her Gma.
I have seen the pictures on Pinterest of a water pad. A large piece of folded plastic that the kids can play on. Easy and inexpensive. This seemed like a perfect way to spend an afternoon visit with the granddaughters.
4 mill plastic folded over
We used duct tape to secure the edges. Sometimes 2/3 layers. This took us a couple of hours. We left a small opening on one corner, to slide in the water hose. .
Filling with water
I bought 2 large bottles of blue craft paint and poured it into the opening where the hose was. As the pad filled, we noticed small leaks. So, we had to constantly walk around, putting duct tape on the leaks. At one point, we said enough. They leaks were miniscule and the girls would have a few hours to play.
The girls had an afternoon of fun, before ripping it apart and flooding the yard. All in all it was a great success.
I knew eventually we would need to replace some of the privacy fence posts. I was simply waiting in the shadows for hubby to start taking them down. Finally the day came, when he replaced about 20 of them. Yay!! He was able to provide me with about 15 good ones. That was enough. I knew I would mess up one or two...maybe 3 or 4. :)
My plan was to make a flag to prop up on the backyard hill. Here is my project.
I knew I could do this, or atleast I believe I can...so waited until I had the perfect door. That day happened and I found me a door. It is a very old solid wood door. It is a door that stinks. Hubby says it smells like cat urine. I say it smells VERY, VERY old. Kind of like when you go into a very old KMART, or get hold of an old book.
I wasn't about to give into hubby talking about my stinky door. Although, I wasn't too sure this was going to go in my house. So....I crossed my fingers and moved forward, hoping that I could remove that smell.
My inspiration photo above, looks as if nothing was done to it. But my door was plain and needed something. I began by stripping 30 years of paint off. Time and elbow grease.
Then we measured the door, trying to decide the height and width. Hubby cut my now very stinky door into 3 pieces, two sides and the top.
Yep, the stink was still there. I continued to make light of it, all the while wondering would that smell go away. I had sanded and sanded, probably making the smell even more prominent. But I still had hope.
We used the Kreg Jig screws to secure the sides to the top, making it look nice underneath and very sturdy. I primed with Kilz, then painted with a satin white. I tend to use what I have on hand. I originally wanted to paint it a blue color. But...doors are usually white, especially old doors. I then put a coat of gloss Polycrylic over the top, sanded and put another coat of Polycrylic. This seal of Poly seems to have sealed in the "stink". Hip, Hip, Hooray...the door/table may come into my house.
I debated to leave it a solid white, but my paining skills are pretty bad, so an easy way out is to "antique" it up. So, I sanded some spots here and there, making it look beaten. This in turn allows my mistakes and not so good painting to show. I went to HD and bought a set of glass door knobs. I love these knobs.
Ta-da...it passes the "Smile" test. If I walk past it and smile, it stays. If I don't smile, it's out of here.
My family consists of a hubby, two sons, two daughters-in-law and two wonderful granddaughters. Those gbabies are the joys in my life. They are my reason.
I enjoy taking what someone has thrown away and making something pretty, useful and most important...it must make me smile. I have taken an old door and made a headboard for my bed...which makes me smile everytime I walk into my room. I took and old metal headboard, footboard and made a "flower bed" for my back yard. Or old drawers turned into a spice rack. Thinking outside the box is what being creative is all about.